Monday, June 6, 2011

Mother's Day and an Attempt at Fondant

So, I decided it was about time for me to attempt to cover a cake in fondant. I made the cake. I got the fondant. I watched the videos on YouTube. I learned that those ladies make this look a lot easier than it really is. How do they make it so smooth? How are they not left with excess fondant which folds over and makes unsightly little creases? Why does their fondant simply blend back into itself to create a superbly uniform covering? I hope to some day know the answers to these questions, but for now, this is what I got:
Aside from the slight tear in the back (that I cleverly hid from view and which you would never have known about had I not just told you), I suppose it's not bad for my first try. But here's the cool thing: all you have to do is cover your imperfect fondant in lots of frosting squiggles, and no one will be the wiser!

TA-DA!! Yes, I know, isn't it lovely? But wait, there's more! A quick trip to the back yard...

...and you have a beautiful cake topper! Quite nice, no?


Anyway, moving on now! I know Mother's Day was a while ago, but I'm obviously a little behind in my blogging. My mom's favorite cupcake of mine is the chocolate salted caramel, so I adapted that into a cake. I don't have any pics of the scrummy inside, but it was three layers of chocolate cake with caramel sauce and delicious salted caramel frosting between each layer. The whole thing is covered in whipped ganache, and I made some fondant calla lilies for the first time :)



And here's a close-up of the flowers, which I am including mostly because I think it's a nice shot of my little bow. I was very proud of my little bow. This pic is slightly fuzzy, but you can make out the tiny pleats. So cute :)

That's all for now, folks, but I have a bazillion sugar cookies to share, and I will be back with them very, very soon, most likely later tonight :)

No comments: