Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yummy-Nummy-Scrummy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mmmm, who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? I've always been happy with the recipe you find on the back of the Nestle chocolate chips bag, but when I saw these big, thick, yummy-looking cookies on How To Eat A Cupcake, I had to try them! Here is a link to the recipe I (mostly) followed, and here is my very, very slightly modified version:

Preheat oven to 375.

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 1/2 c dark brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
2 eggs, straight from fridge
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 c chocolate chips
Mix together butter and sugar on low speed until combined. Add eggs one at a time, and vanilla, and beat on low speed until combined.
Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Scoop great big gobs of cookie dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Like 3-4 tbsp.
Bake until edges are slightly brown and the tops are lightly golden. The original recipe says this will take 15-20 mins. My cookies took 11-12 mins, and I know they weren't smaller because she got 21 and I got 18. The point is, keep an eye on your cookies!

As you can see, if you read the original recipe, my only changes were to use dark brown sugar plus regular granulated sugar instead of light brown (which I only did because we didn't have any light brown sugar), to add a half-teaspoon of vanilla, and to leave out the walnuts. Just not my thing.
I loooooove pictures of stacked-up cookies. I don't know why. Just love them :)
Anyway, apparently these cookies are copy-cats of Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies. I've never heard of Levain before, but it's in New York and apparently has quite a following. If these cookies are decent copy-cats, and if the rest of their goodies are just as scrumptious, I can certainly see why! These cookies are so tasty and, in my opinion, just the perfect chocolate chip cookie consistency. They aren't cakey, or too gooey, or too crispy. Just right. Mmmmmm.
All that's missing from this picture is a tall, cold glass of milk :)

No comments: