Sunday, July 10, 2011

DISNEYLAND CAKE!

My best friend since forever (and fellow Disney nut) had a birthday barbecue last weekend, and I wanted to make her a totally awesome cake. I had very grand plans for this cake, but I ended up with about two less days to work on it than I thought I would have, so I ended up leaving off a whole tier because I didn't get all the decorations made, and the ones that did get made aren't quite finished off as I'd have liked. But all in all, it still came out very well, everyone at the party loved it, and considering this is only the second cake I've ever covered in fondant, and that it's my first tiered cake, I'm pleased :) And they probably aren't too sad about that missing third tier, because that would have meant a ridiculous amount of leftover cake haha ;)
Aside from "Disneyland," of course, there is no overriding theme to the cake, I just wanted to incorporate a lot of different attractions.
Overall, the cake has a vintage resort entrance sign topper, Mad Tea Party cups, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Monorail, and Sleeping Beauty Castle.
The topper and the Billys were my favorite elements. The lettering is all hand-painted and I am super, super happy with the way it turned out (except the "d" at the end kept wanting to fall off). The party was actually a joint affair for my friend and her mom; I'm not sure how well you can see it, but the little sign reads "PARK CLOSES EARLY TODAY FOR BETH AND AMBER'S EXCLUSIVE BIRTHDAY BASH."
And here's Billy Hill, with his brothers Billy, Billy, and Billy!
I always intended the castle to be 2D, as it is, but I was planning on adding the drawbridge on the ground in front of it. Ah well. I was also planning on putting a little stage on the floor for the Billys. It's little things like that which I completely ran out of time for. 

And finally, here is the birthday girl with her cake! Happy birthday Amber, I love you!!

No comments: